by Lenny Leatherman –
Early voting in the 2014 Primary Election starts February 18th and runs through February 28th.
Do you know for whom you are going to vote … Why?
On what criteria do you base your decision when determining which candidate to support? Here are some questions you may want to consider:
1. Why is this person running for office?
2. What sets a candidate apart from the other candidates? A candidate may have an impressive résumé, but are his qualifications germane to the office for which he is a candidate?
3. For County level offices, does the candidate have a verifiable record of community/civic involvement in Parker County? Is there a history of success or failure that can be verified?
4. Has the race become a ‘popularity contest’? Are candidates using criticism of those in office to divert attention from their own failures and lack of accomplishments?
5. Candidates for office are applying for a job. If two candidates competing for an office appear to be equally qualified, which candidate should you hire with your vote; a candidate who has lived in, paid taxes in and raised his family in Parker County, or someone who likes what Parker County has become, and moves here upon retirement?
6. Is voting for a candidate because he is your friend, or because he goes to your Church a valid reason to vote for a candidate? I think not! I have two brothers with totally different skill sets. If I need assistance with a task, I will call upon the brother with the skills that match the task. That doesn’t mean I love the other brother less.
Finally, having been a voter for many years, I have come to expect candidates to tell me what they believe I want to hear. Some are truthful and some are not. I believe it is my responsibility to see beyond what a candidate is saying, and to verify a record of accomplishments or lack thereof.
For detailed information about the Primary Election, go to the Parker County Government website. There you will find: