Armed Citizen

From, July, 2012 Issue – Bob Lohman, 64, and his wife, Charlene, 57, were watching television one evening when a brick was thrown through the glass doors in their living room. The perpetrator, 20-year-old William R. Carlton, then entered the Lohman residence, grabbed Charlene and began savagely beating her. When Lohman was unable to pull Carlton away from his wife, he retrieved a .38 cal. revolver and shot him once before calling police. Carlton was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead shortly thereafter. Mrs. Lohman sustained significant bumps and bruises, but was otherwise uninjured. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Dardenne Prairie, MO, 3/30/12)

Willie White, 75, was watching a basketball game at about 1:15 a.m. when he heard a steady banging at his door. White armed himself with a rifle before an 18-year-old intruder was able to kick in the door. White said, “I was nervous—I figured if someone’s hostile enough to break your door down, he’s capable of anything. So once he came inside my house, I shot him.” The intruder sustained a single gunshot wound that proved fatal. His two accomplices fled the scene. (The Detroit News, Detroit, MI, 3/29/12)

A man came to the door of Herschel Matheny, 82, and Jacqueline Hicks, 75, one morning and asked to use their telephone. When the man was given a phone to use, he reportedly stabbed Matheny in the chest and demanded money from Hicks. While giving the man the impression she was leaving the room to get money, Hicks retrieved a firearm instead and forced the man to leave. Matheny was taken to a hospital and is expected to recover. The suspect is at large. (The Southern Illinoisan, Herod, IL, 4/24/12)

Police were called after a man shot a pit bull that had attacked his 11-year-old son. The dog belonged to a neighbor and had broken free of its leash before it bit the boy. The boy’s father retrieved a handgun and fired one shot when the dog lunged toward him. The wounded dog ran off, but was later located and taken to be euthanized. The boy was treated for his injuries and is expected to make a full recovery. (The Press-Enterprise, Riverside County, CA, 4/8/12)

Just after 2 p.m. one afternoon, a woman was home alone when she heard a knock at her door. The two men at the door began inquiring about a friend of hers. Suddenly she was forced back into the house at gunpoint and into a closet. That closet, however, was where the woman kept a gun of her own. She fired at the intruders causing them to flee. One of the intruders suffered a gunshot wound and collapsed on the sidewalk outside. He was later pronounced dead. The woman was uninjured. (KCTV5 News, Kansas City, MO, 4/9/12)

Rev. Henry Guyton, 71, a Baptist church pastor, called 911 one afternoon when a man at the church began acting as if he was having a heart attack. The man, 38-year-old Jesse Gates, left the church after being examined by EMS. Gates returned to the church later that day carrying a shotgun. The reverend’s grandson, Aaron Guyton, 26, spotted the shotgun and locked the doors. Gates, however, kicked open a side door of the sanctuary and pointed the gun at the pastor and congregation. As a concealed carry permit holder, Aaron acted quickly to detain Gates at gunpoint until police arrived. Everyone was reportedly unharmed. (, Boiling Springs, SC, 3/25/12)

Leonard Nathaniel was sleeping when a neighbor called and alerted him to possible burglars outside his apartment. Nathaniel then went downstairs and found two intruders going through his kitchen drawers and cabinets. Although one intruder had a gun pointed at him, Nathaniel fled upstairs where he retrieved his own firearm. He fired at the men, wounding one and causing the other to flee. Rashaun Dawson, 18, was taken to a hospital and treated for his wounds. He was then charged with burglary and possession of a stolen firearm. Andrew Smalls, 19, was later arrested and charged with burglary as well. (The Post and Courier, Charleston, SC, 4/7/12)

Colleen McCarey, 48, was shopping at Getzow Jewelers one afternoon. Feigning interest in buying a charm, she asked the employee if she could see an expensive crucifix. When the employee carefully handed the charm to her to examine, McCarey gave the worker a handwritten note telling him no one would be hurt if he handed over all the store’s engagement rings. The employee signaled to his father, who was in the back room of the store, and he quickly emerged with a gun. He was then able to detain McCarey until police arrived. (The Intelligencer, Doylestown, PA, 4/22/12)

%d bloggers like this: