As leaders of statewide and regional grassroots organizations, we wanted to inform you that we are working hard to educate and inform voters across the state about the Texas Speaker of the House race. The conservative grassroots mandate of November has been followed with great voter interest in who leads the House chamber for our fine state.
We wanted to let you know what information your constituents will be armed with when they are asked why they want their House member to oppose
Joe Straus and instead select a true conservative for Speaker of the House. We have responded with the following information about the current Speaker of the House, Joe Straus:
The first and most important vote of the session is for a conservative House Speaker. It is imperative that Speaker Straus, elected by 11 Republicans and 65 Democrats, be replaced because growing from a 76-74 to a 101-49 Republican majority is a strong conservative message from Texas grassroots voters.
We are convinced that the following record affirms the grassroots’ demand for a NEW Speaker:
- Speaker Straus is NOT pro-life.
- He voted to make it easier to perform third-trimester abortions (SB 419, vote 672 in 2005).
- He supported a Planned Parenthood, NARAL and ACLU sex education bill by coauthoring HB 1842 in 2007.
- He co-authored HB 2704 in 2007 that would have legalized embryonic stem cell research and human cloning.
- He received a 100% rating from National Abortion Rights Action League Pro-Choice America.
- He received $1,000 from ‘Winning for Women: A PAC for the Government Affairs Council at Planned Parenthood of Southeast & South Central Texas.”
- Following the 2009 session, he was acknowledged and “thanked” for his “tireless efforts” by Planned Parenthood, the nations’ premier abortion provider.
- A Straus-appointed chairman held the pro-life sonogram bill in committee long enough to keep it from coming to a floor vote, even though it had already passed the Senate.
- Another Straus-appointed chairman stopped the “Choose Life” license plate bill.
- Straus’ first Chief of Staff was former Democrat State Representative Clyde Alexander.
In conclusion, many Texans across our state have indicated that the “pledge list” and vote for Speaker of the House is something they will remember long after the 82nd Legislative session concludes. We intend to remind them of such information at critical times over the next two years.
Please vote for a NEW Speaker in 2011. Sincerely,
Sharron Albertson Rhonda Arias
Life Chain Texas Texas Abortion Recovery Alliance
Mike Carr Nancy Chalin
Chairman, Northeast Tarrant Right to Life Former RNC for Life Chairman
Educational Association Golden Corridor Republican Women’s Club
Dennis DeWine Carol Everett
Central Texas Voices for Life The Heidi Group
Dr. Joseph Graham Jan Hester
President, Texas Right to Life Act of Life, Inc.
Katherine Hill Margaret Hotze
Life Talk Resources Legislative Administrator Life Advocates
Abby Johnson Christine Melchor
40 Days of Life Houston Coalition for Life
RNC for Life Chairman
South Texas STOPP
Golden Corridor Republican Women’s Club
Therese Perez John Pisciotta
South Texas STOPP Pro-Life Waco
Bobby Reynoso Julie Stobbe
(Brazos Valley) Coalition for Life Act of Life, Inc.
Amy Voorhees Molly White
San Antonio Coalition for Life Women for Life International
Former chairman Republican Party of Texas
|Colleen Parro Baillargeon Former RNC for Life Director|
Pat Carlson Dianne Edmondson
Texas Eagle Forum Republican National Coalition for Life
Linda W. Flower, M.D. Richard Ford
Texas Physicians Resource Council Heritage Alliance
Wayne and Donna Garner Hewitt, Texas 76643
Former RPT Secretary & Former SREC SD 11
State Director, Concerned Women of America
Awake America Ministries
President/ Founder (State active)
Sonja Harris AKA RED SONJA Conservatives in Action
Texas Home School Coalition
Kelly Shackelford Skeet Workman
Liberty Institute Tea Party, Lubbock
*Names of organizations are listed for identification purposes only.