from The Lone Star Report
Written by: William Lutz
Rep. Ken Paxton (R-McKinney) confirmed he will run for Speaker of the House, a post currently held by Joe Straus who is seeking re-election. The seat is also being sough by Rep. Warren Chisum (R-Pampa). We post Paxton’s entire statement below.
“Today, on Veterans Day, we honor the service of those who have given so much to our state and nation, many of whom paid the ultimate sacrifice. It seems appropriate that we focus on how we can best protect our hard-won freedoms which are increasingly under attack.
On Election Day, we witnessed a monumental shift in the political climate, and I believe that historic opportunities demand bold action in defense of our conservative values. Voters across Texas sent a clear message that they favor leadership dedicated to protecting our freedoms and fighting government growth. Texans have provided us with an historic mandate, and they expect us to use this mandate to honestly advance conservative principles and not simply protect the status quo. These goals can only be accomplished with a conservative Speaker.
In January, members of the Texas State Legislature have a unique opportunity and an obligation to do more than simply balance the budget without raising taxes. We also have an opportunity to:
• Implement measures to reduce property taxes permanently over time;
• Aggressively fight back on the federal government’s invasion on the rights of Texans, and in fact reclaim our state sovereignty;
• Limit our state government’s ability to grow beyond the rate of inflation and population;
• Pass true immigration reform and implement photo id;
• Provide opportunities for individuals and families to make important decisions such as health care options that are free from governmental intrusion and mandates; and
• Challenge ourselves to bring solutions to the table that create jobs, sustain economic prosperity, and continue to make Texas a shining light for generations to come.
Republicans have the opportunity to unify behind a conservative Speaker who can effectively lead our Party on the principles our citizens espouse. As someone who has continuously served as an advocate for conservative principles, I am announcing my candidacy for the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives.
Texans have clearly asked us to advance their values, promote conservative policies and follow a path of long-term economic prosperity, and I stand ready to serve as the leader to accomplish these goals. I welcome the opportunity to work with my colleagues in the Legislature to address the critical issues we face and implement real solutions that will benefit all Texans.”